Pimples are an inflammation of the pores in which the sebaceous (oil) glands become clogged, infected with bacteria, and then fill with pus. When the pus and oil harden in the pore it becomes a blackhead. This is a condition known as acne. Here are a few tips on how to get rid of acne fast using natural or home remedies. There are many natural items that are effective, simple, inexpensive and convenient, around your home that you can utilize to deal with all the stages of acne breakouts.
For redness, swelling, and inflammation
- Ice packs can be used to quickly reduce inflammation by applying directly to the affected area.
- Cucumber has a cooling and soothing effect on the skin. Apply fresh cucumber slices to affected areas.
- Papaya contains the antioxidant, vitamin A, and it has enzymes that help reduce inflammation. Crush raw papaya to extract the juice and apply it to pimples.
- Aloe Vera (from the plant or gel) has a cooling effect that reduces redness and inflammation.
To combat oiliness that contributes to the formation of pimples, blackheads, and acne breakouts
- Lemon juice from the fruit, not bottled lemon juice, helps pimples dry up quickly, eliminating oil and pus and preventing blackheads. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and smooth over the affected area.
- Witch hazel is a disinfectant and astringent that reduces bacteria and gently cleanses the skin preventing inflammation and the formation of acne. Put a few drops on a cotton ball and smooth over the affected area.
- Salt-water is very effective for removing oils and bacteria from the affected area. Use a combination of table salt and water to rinse affected area after cleansing.
For acne breakouts
- Garlic is an antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic and antioxidant agent that can quickly help in the treatment of an acne breakout. The sulfur in garlic also promotes quick healing of pimples. Apply fresh, raw garlic cloves to the affected area.
- Baking soda helps exfoliate the skin to remove excess oil, dirt and dead skin cells. Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply to the affected area. Rinse off after a few minutes or it will cause irritation from excessive drying of the skin.
- Apple cider vinegar is an antibacterial agent that can get rid of pimples quickly. You can apply the vinegar directly to the pimples with a cotton ball.
Procedures you can do overnight to help clear up painful, inflamed acne breakout
If your acne breakout is particularly severe, use these natural or home remedies that are effective.
- Use an ice pack for a few minutes on the affected area, then apply white toothpaste (not gel toothpaste) to the pimples themselves and leave on overnight. If this is done during the day, make sure you have the toothpaste on the affected areas for at least half an hour.
- Honey and cinnamon face mask can be used. Mix some honey (preferably raw and unprocessed) and cinnamon powder to form a paste. Apply it to the affected area and leave on overnight.
Things to do at any time (as preventative measures and treatment after acne breakout)
- Tea tree oil has antibacterial properties that help fight the bacteria that cause acne. To get rid of blackheads and whiteheads, apply tea tree oil combined with witch hazel to your face using a cotton ball. It removes impurities and evens skin tone. Can be used in place of benzoyl peroxide to dry up pimples.
- Lavender oil mixed with tea tree oil and witch hazel also help clear the skin and prevents breakouts. Can be worn as a daytime moisturizer.
- Steam will open your pores and helps expel dirt, oil, and bacteria that are trapped in your pores that lead to inflammation and infection.
- Honey is a natural antibiotic that will quicken the healing process of a breakout, and help prevent future ones.
Fading acne scars
- Yogurt masks have live enzymes that help remove impurities from the skin and lighten the complexion. Smooth a thin layer of plain, sugar-free yogurt on your face. Leave on for 15 minutes.
- Olive oil can also reduce facial swelling and lighten scars from previous breakouts. Use olive oil as a night cream.
- Aloe vera can lighten scars overnight when applied as a face cream.
If you experience acne breakouts or an occasional pimple or two, there is no need to spend a lot of money or time treating them. It is better for your skin to use these natural home remedies that will get rid of a pimple fast.